Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Exercise

I have been trying to do some form of exercise daily.  At first I was aspiring to be like all of the Jamie Eason trainers out there, but then reality hit home.  At the moment, a gym membership is not an option and it's summer - why not just be outside and enjoy the warm (ish) weather.  I have been walking/learning to run during my lunch breaks and when I can't do that I will either walk with my daughter in the evening or dance or chase each other in the condo until my Fitbit hits 10000 steps :)  It seems to be working, I feel like I have more energy and can do things faster.  The scale (which I try not to look at often), it is slowly moving down. 

I still do aspire to train and 'lift heavy' like so many other women are doing these days.  It's all over facebook and instagram that lifting heavy and eating clean will get you great results.  My goal is to do this.  What do I need to do to get there?

Cost and Schedule
Find the means to afford a monthly gym membership that fits within my tight schedule (no babysitting and daycare closes at 5:45).

Get below 200lbs
I would ideally like to get below 200 first, just by diet and exercise as I'm nervous weight lifting will slow me down or initially make me gain.  I'm too close to my starting weight to bounce back up 5 pounds - it would discourage me.

Be Brave
AND this one is probably the biggest - I need to get over being nervous about going to a gym.  I don't want people to look at me using the weights and think 'you don't belong'.  I know it's silly, but I almost feel like a gym is for a group of 'kids' that just aren't like me.  They are like the cool kids in school.  You want to belong but can't quite get up the nerve to join in. 

Now, I have been a member at gyms in the past - most of my adult life actually, but most of those have been very large and often ladies only.  For some reason that makes it less intimidating.  But the gym that I am looking at happens to be in my office building and it's small, and co-ed, and co-workers go there, and it's a fortune.  But it happens to be the only option for me given my tight schedule.  I can go at lunch or right after work.  So at the moment, I'm trying to convince another coworker to go with me.  At least a buddy would calm my nerves!! 

Anyone else have those fears?




No comments:

Post a Comment