Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Food Addiction

Sorry for the hiatus - I do hope to post more often.  Much like this lifestyle change I am trying to embark upon, everything takes effort and sometimes things fall through the cracks!  One day at a time is my motto these days.

Back to my desire to post today...

I was reading a blog I frequent Fat Chick 2 Fit Chick and she openly talked about her food addiction.  Food addiction - 2 words no one likes to talk about.  Well, perhaps it's the one word that makes it seem taboo or bad - ADDICTION.  There is nothing positive about that word.  We usually relate it to drugs, cigarettes or alcohol.  Honestly I think it's worse.  We have to eat food, we can't banish it from our lives completely like drugs.  It's a constant daily struggle for many to resist the temptations and addiction. 

How do I know this?  Well I too have a food addiction.  From obsessing over junk food when it's in the house, to not being able to walk past the candy aisle without picking something up (yes, I have a sweet tooth).  Seriously - I usually try to completely avoid that aisle or some days even avoid the store as I know the addiction and craving will get the best of me.  Some people say, get it out of your system and then you'll feel better.  Sometimes that works but other times it's like a junk food roller coaster ride and before you know it, I'm in bed with flu-like symptoms from eating too much sugar.  Or, the 'eating bad' lasts for days...a little bit here a little bit there.  And then
I'm up 3 pounds.  Damn sugar is EVIL for weight loss.  Turns straight to fat I hear (and believe). 

I'm curious to hear what others think of food addiction and what they do that works for them.  Has anyone tried counselling?  Food addiction annonymous? Any tips to share? I'd imagine if I tried counselling, they would just try to target why I turn to food.  That I know - it's the emotions - food makes me feel better.  Well, junk food.  When I'm stressed or tired or bored or even wanting to celebrate a Friday for example, a sweet treat is the answer!  I need to shift my way of thinking...maybe counselling would help.  Or perhaps even just expressing my feelings here in the blog world :) 

I will leave you on a lighter note - some of my diet lifestyle change eating has lead me to a few yummy treats (yes I try to eat natural and unprocessed, but these are great in a pinch):

LUNA Bar - Caramel Nut Brownie is AMAZING.  It tastes just like a brownie and the caramel is awesome.  I will have one as a dessert.
 
The Simply Protein Bar is a great snack with high protein, low calories and low sugar and zero yucky sugar alcohols.  I stumbled upon a box of these at Costco (under $20 for 12) and they are quite tasty and they really do help with the hunger.  Even more so than the Luna Bar - I bet it's the protein.  I will often have one of these for my morning snack and it keeps me going well into lunch time.   

The other bar I'm dying to try, but am struggling to find in Canada are the coveted Quest Bars. They are supposedly amazing but I have yet to find any local.  It looks like I can get them online, but the shipping is by the box (same flavour).  I was hoping to try a sample of a few flavours first. Anyone know where to find some? 
 

 
 
 ????????????????????
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment